Thursday, June 29, 2006

Beat me a beat beatboxer!

"I met god last night and her name is sound"

last night was the dopest concert i have been to in a long time. ucf's organization hillel and elements sponsored an event called BRINGIN' BACK THE BEATBOX. they flew in two of the dopest beatboxers (after rubox) and they vibrated every molecule in my body. the beatboxers were KID BEYOND (www.kidbeyond.com) and TIM BARSKEY. both are of jewish desent that are intouch with their inner hip hop.

The show opened with RUBOX (www.nonsenserecords.com/rubox.html) blowing up the mic. i love to see him perform. i get this proud feeling as if he was my child. god bless his mother and father. everytime i see him he makes me want to step up my game as a performer. im glad he is my beatboxer. now, not only did he perform but he also hosted. talk about multi tasking. did i mention that i was proud? following rubox was DJ SPS (www.nonsenserecords.com/sps.html). sps is the badest dj to ever walk the face of the earth.

my nephew and my godneice were going to come to experience this amazing night. but my nephew had to study for his test in summer school. luckly my godneice, jazzia, was able to come and be blown away. when sps began his set i made sure she stood right in front of the turntables. jazzia is 13 years old and never saw anything like this before. she had the advantage. i was 25 when i saw sps for the first time.

so after sps melted vinyl with his fingers, kid beyond approached the stage and worked his magic. now i have to back track a week here to make sense of what i will say later. my boy kelly let me listen to his portishead cd. wandering star is my new favorite song. last night kid beyond perform wandering star using only his voice. and this is when i say that everything happens for a reason. kid beyond beatboxed his ass off. the dissapointing this was that there were people talking through his performance. whatever happened to passing notes. anywho, kid beyond finished his performance and was followed by tim barsky.

tim barsky beatboxes and plays the flute at the same time. he was very good. he was having a problem with the sound which made it difficult to hear himself as he attempted to play. i figured people didnt understand this and decided to leave but it was all good. he was playing for me.

before the night ended a few kids came in who had arrived late. they talk to kid beyond and he did an extra set for them. this time he had sps accompany him. sps needs to stay in contact with him to do some work on an album.

my only regret last night was not having any money to get a cd from kid beyond. i wanted to get one for my nephew. his birthday is saturday so i will just have to order from cd baby (http://cdbaby.com/cd/kidbeyond).

that night reached its hand in my heart and beatboxed on my heartstrings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. It was overwhelming of what the human voice can do. I was parched! haha. Good blog!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home